Tuesday, January 21, 2014

01.20.14

Hey I have a ground breaking announcement to make. And it has nothing to do with the fact that I got stabbed again. Just kidding I've never been stabbed. . . on my mission. A few incidents from home come to mind though. One involves a butcher knife and a thumb.... ha! The news actually has to do with where I will be finishing the last 6 weeks of my mission. 

Sudden death moves call didn't disappoint. I thought for sure that I would  just finish my mission here cause this is my last transfer, but the Lord has other plans. I will be moving to Perth, Scotland on Wednesday morning. Elder Stringer is staying here and a new district leader is coming in to replace me. I will still be a District Leader and my companions name is Elder Dickison. He's English which is a bit concerning. haha! Anyway, from what President Brown and the Assistants said, they need some damage control done in Perth cause there is nothing happening with the work there. They asked me what I thought about the call and I was completely honest. ha! I said, "I'm unpleasantly surprised - it's going to be hard to stay motivated for 6 weeks in an area where I don't know anyone and probably won't see the fruit of a lot of my labours." Then, they sounded all nervous, but they were consoled when I told them I will still do my very best. So, that's the way the cookie crumbles with moves. I really liked this ward and I'm going to miss Elder Stringer, but look on the bright side. Now I can get a kilt if I want! ha. I will let you all know my new address as soon as possible. 

The family we were teaching found some anti-Mormon stuff somewhere so they canceled the appointment we had with them. We still have high hopes for them because we managed to text them a few scriptures and they told us we can come by this Friday. So, hopefully that goes somewhere. 

Neil is going through a really hard time in his life right now and probably won't be able to see the missionaries for at least a few weeks. So, that's what is going on with him. 

We have a legend of a member living here. Her name is Alison T. On Friday, she took us out to eat at a place called Franky and Benny's and the food was amazing. Then, she took us into this way expensive store and told us to choose some shirts. She insisted that we allow her to buy us new slim fit shirts and a new tie from this expensive place. All their clothes are made in London from the finest material possible. So, she bought us those and then she took us to another store and bought us some cuff links. I'm not even going to tell you how much she spent in total. It was pretty mind blowing and we had no idea what happened when we got onto the bus afterwards. Elder Stringer and I just looked at each other and started laughing cause it was so random and awesome. We keep trying to thank her all the time, but then she just turns the table on us and says things like, "You give up 2 years of your life to come to Ireland and tract in the rain - it's nothing for me to buy you a couple of shirts." She is so awesome. She's also the same one that threw a surprise birthday party for me. 

I'm going to miss all those I've taught here. In particular, I will miss a Less Active family named the Brysons. They are always so kind to us and they are SOO close to coming back to church. I'm sad I'm going to miss it. They made us a bunch of delicious soup to put in our fridge last week and I'm sure that thing of soup will keep the missionaries fed for weeks to come. 

Well, I love you all. Next email will be from Scotland. So far on my mission, I've been in every area for exactly 4.5 months. And everytime I've moved, I've gone to a different country and had to take the ferry. Every time. That's pretty crazy if I do say so myself. Pretty cool too. Have a great week!

Elder Goodwin
 
PS: By the way, Perth is where a couple of my ancestors are from, so that is another really neat thing about this call. Also, Sister Brown told us that Perth is the most beautiful place in Scotland. And she's lived in Scotland her whole life so she ought to know. Love ya all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment