Tuesday, June 12, 2012

06.11.12

Party goin on across the river. Also where the olympic torch passed through.
Family!
 
Happy fathers day to Dad! I hope you have a great fathers day because you deserve it. Also, Happy Birthday to Tim and Haze!
 
These last few days have been pretty good. Not too much has happened here. Just the usual, eating some potatoes and other miscellaneous vegetables and spreading the Gospel haha.
 
A is pretty much dropped, which is too bad. He won't answer our calls and he won't answer his door. I think he is embarrassed because we saw him in the street a couple days ago and talked to him, but he was WAY drunk. Hopefully, he will let us teach him this week.
 
One of the youth in the ward had to give a talk on Sunday. He went up there and just said, well I forgot about this talk until 3 minutes ago. Then he talked about how him and his dad boxed for young mens once and sat down. hahaha I thought it was so classic.
 
Last week, we did service for a guy named LK. We tore down a wall so he could have more room to his driveway. He is an epic man. He used to be a paratrooper in the army, then he was a member of the SAS, and then up until a few years ago, he worked for the Secret Service. He likes me a lot for some reason, and everytime we are there he takes me inside and makes me look at all his old pictures of him in the service. haha They are some pretty awesome pictures though. He is pretty hardcore, but now he can barely walk. He is getting old and now all his injuries are starting to catch up with him. He is awesome though. He always wears his secret service pin to church. He is actually on the IRA hit list so he has to live outside of town. haha.
 
Everyone keeps asking what an average day is like here, so I will explain it now.
 
We get up at 6 30 and exercise/shower/ and eat breakfast. For exercise I either do 220+ pushups in sets of 40, or 6 by 12 dumbell curls depending on the day. Then we study from 8-11, but then Elder Vollheim has to study for 30 more minutes because he is District Leader. I hate being trapped inside hah.  After that, we eat lunch. Then we either go to our appointments or GQ or tract until dinner. Then after dinner, we do the same thing. We usually walk really far because everyone lives in different areas. I love walking and being outside though. Sometimes we get members to take us around to the smaller towns that we can't walk to, to see less active members. It's pretty fun. We go back to the flat at 9, do our planning, and then go to bed at 10:30. I usually do some more pushups or curls at like 10.
 
I also wanted to tell  you some funny things that Irish people say, besides aye. When they don't want to do something they just say, "I can't be bothered." haha I think it's hilarious because EVERYONE says that. Another thing they say is "wee." It means small and they say it all the time. If someone has a cute little kid ladies will walk up and tell them that their kid is a wee pet. Which means really cute haha.  Foods usually have different names as well, but I'm not going to write all those because there are too many. I love the accent here, but I'm starting to not even notice it. They also say "so I did" or "so I am" after everything. IE they will say, "I'm going to the store, so I am." or, "I went to the store, so I did." I always laugh when they say these funny phrases.
 
Well, I am going to upload some pictures to walgreens now, so I will get this sent. I love you all and pray for you. I can truly feel the spirit out here and I know this is where I should be. I love you.
 
Elder Goodwin

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing Brett's mission news with us! It just warms my heart to watch him grow into an awesome missionary. Dakota has started his mission papers and will serving soon too:)

    ReplyDelete