Monday, June 18, 2012

06.18.12


The start of one of the MANY giant bonfires getting built for the 12th of July. This one is in a Protestant neighborhood I think.

...THE WAVE...

Family;
 
This week, I had to go to the SMART start. That is where all the trainees and their trainers meet up with President Griffiths and the APs and they make us do role plays to make sure that we are learning what we are supposed too. You know me, I just love doing role plays. Actually, I don't. haha. I am getting better at them now because I can see how helpful they are when you do them correctly. I felt a little bit like I was attending drama or something the first few role plays I did in the MTC though. haha. But, the APs were very impressed with how I handled everything and how I taught.
 
The fires goin on around Utah sound way bad. People here have even heard about it on the news or in the papers. Hopefully, they will be able to get them all under control.
 
The sun has officially disappeared for awhile here. Everyone says that those couple weeks of sun, might be the only sun we get for the summer haha. That's ok though, because I get sun burned easy anyway. I actually think the weather here is really good, even when it's raining. The only time it actually gets cold is when it's windy. Our mission leader is always talking about needing to get a tan and it's hilarious because he is black. So whenever we visit him, I tell him that we should just go outside so he can get a tan. He thinks it is pretty funny. haha
 
We had some more less actives at church yesterday! I can really tell that all the work we have been doing with them is paying off.  We had to drop our investigator though, because of some different things. Hopefully we can find some more investigators this week.
 
I have been playing the piano a lot lately. For some reason, it blows peoples minds that I can play the piano. haha because usually guys can't play the piano here. I usually play in priesthood and then we go to one of the less active members house and I play some hymns for him. Everytime I walk in, he just asks me to play a wee bit of piano haha. I uploaded a picture to walgreens of me playing in his house.
 
I'm telling you, one of the people we see acts EXACTLY like Hal. It's crazy how similar they are.
 
A couple weeks ago, I bought a gold club for 6 pounds at a shop. So naturally, I went out in back of the flat and hit rocks into the river with it. It was so epic. I uploaded some pictures so that you can see how awesome it is. We also got a bunch of old wooden golf clubs and golf balls from a guy named Davie, because we helped him clean out his shed, and he didn't want them anymore.
 
Word on the street is that you don't have to have a license to fish in The River Bann, which is in our backyard. I am thinking about buying a cheap fishing pole and just fishing there on p-day. That would be pretty awesome. I even got permission from the Zone Leaders. ha I heard that most of the fish by the shore are nasty and worthless, but I don't care because I'm not going to eat them. I just want to say that I caught some in the backyard haha.
 
Last week was the best food week I've had. We got to go to a Chines Buffet after district meeting, then we went to burger king after the smart start. I love burger king. I got a supersized meal and president Griffiths paid for it. Everyone is always talking about how cheap fast food is in America. They always get so jealous when I tell them about the dollar menus.
 
Shennie sent me that picture of Dad fighting a fire, and I showed it to everyone we taught yesterday. They all thought it was the coolest picture they have ever seen, especially since it was Fathers Day.
 
There are huge bonfires getting built everywhere here. They are getting them ready for the 12th of July. That is supposedly the craziest holiday around. People just stay drunk for like 3 days and they have massive band parades and bonfires. The Protestants and Catholics have different parades that are supposed to be on different sides of town, but in cities like Belfast they usually just march wherever they want anyway, which causes problems haha. I am excited to see what that will be like. Those bonfires are incredible. They are soo massive, and they are just getting started! I uploaded a picture of the beginning of one of the smaller ones.
 
Surprisingly, I am starting to like potatos more and more. haha but they are still definitely not my favorite food. Yesterday, a member made us dinner. She made roast beef with fried onions and potatos and carrots/peas. I actually really liked it, except for the peas haha. I also made us some spaghetti with meat sauce or spaghettie balognaise as everyone else calls it. It was easier than I thought haha.
 
I love studying the Book of Mormon every morning. It is dominant. I always highlight things and make them into little lessons that I can give to members or less actives. My favorite chapter in the Book of Mormon is Alma 44. It is just has so many awesome quotes and verses.  Doctrine and Covenants is also pretty epic. Personal study is one of my favorite times of the day. 
 
Well I hope things keep going well for all of you in Cedar City. I love all of you more than words can express.
 
Elder Goodwin

No comments:

Post a Comment