Tuesday, April 2, 2013

04.02.13




Well ladies, here goes the week.
 
We have 6 African people scheduled to be baptised in April, which is pretty dang amazing. This area is being blessed a ton. One family is named the David's. The son is Henri - he is 17 and is a rapper. He wrote us a rap about the plan of salvation and I always recommend rap to him. He says he is going to write me a rap for one of my favorite scriptures. I still haven't decided what scripture to give him yet, but it's gonna be awesome. He is way good and way spiritual. The Mom's name is Anna. She is amazing because she works all night and goes to school during the day time. AND she takes care of her 3 kids. Sometimes, she doesn't get off work until 6am on Sunday morning, but she still gets the kids ready and comes to church at 11. That is some real commitment. The daughters name is Hannah and she is 9. She has such a genuine and sincere testimony and is always so excited when we go there. They all understand so much. There is also a little boy named David, but he is only 18 months. He mostly just disrupts lessons and what not but he is way cute. They are soo excited to go to the temple someday to be sealed together. They will be getting baptised this Friday in the river Corrib that runs through Galway and out into the Atlantic Ocean. It's going to be so cool. We don't know who they want to baptise them yet, but I bet it will probably be Elder Wilson. I will get some good pictures with them.
 
The other man who is scheduled to be baptised this Saturday is named Ade. He is also an African man, probably about 40 and he is pretty solid. He struggled with smoking in the past, but he says he has overcome that, so that is really good. He is always asking really deep questions, and seems to have a really good understanding of the Gospel. He will be getting baptised this Saturday in Limerick because they have a font.
 
The other 2 who are scheduled for the 27 are named Winner and Jude. They are married- Winner is the woman and Jude is the man. They are so awesome and genuine. They loved it when we taught them about priesthood authority and Jude told us that he wants to be baptised by that correct authority. He is way excited. He has been to church twice now, but she has only been once. It's harder for her, because she can't seem to get away from her pentacostal church ways. Hopefully she will continue to pray and read from the Book of Mormon. They always tell us they can feel the Spirit there, so hopefully they will act on it.
 
So I've had some interesting dining experiences lately. I will tell you why. Last week, when we were teaching some African's they gave us fish stew. (that's what I call it.) They literally just chop the fish (a mackrel) into like 5 chunks (including the head and tail)-without even removing any bones and just throw it into this sauce. Then they make rice and put it on top. As you all know, I hate fish with a passion, so I was dying. The chunks are massive and they have scales all over them and bones all over too. And African people make a TON of food. Seriously, they eat so dang much. It's pretty impressive. I made it through, and then when we came back a few days later, they had made the exact same thing. I nearly broke down in tears, but I kept myself calm and collected and ate it again. 
 
So in other news, Elder Wilson has been called to be the branch president here. I have been teasing him telling him it was gonna be him for awhile now, and it's pretty funny that he really did get called. He and Sister Wilson have been here about the same amount of time as me. He will be an awesome Branch President though. And it will be powerhouse because we already have a really close relationship with him and our Branch mission leader. It will be a very missionary oriented branch.
 
So ya, Galway is tearing it up. We are rapping and baptising and everything in between. It's been really cold, but it's starting to get a bit warmer. The wind is what makes it feel freezing. The weather is completely unpredictable every single day. Besides, the weather changes about every 7 minutes. It's crazy.
 
I love you all!
 
Elder Goodwin

No comments:

Post a Comment