So, I am pretty much going to dedicate this email to Grandma Rene. I will start by telling you all about how I found out.
So this morning during personal study, we got a call from President Brown and he asked to speak to me. I thought it might be a last minute moves change, but my heart dropped when he said, "Unfortunately I have some sad news about your family." Let me just tell you, those are the most terrifying words for a missionary to hear. Anyway, he then explained to me that he had received an email from President Orten with the sad news that Grandma had passed away. I was completely taken off guard and didn't really know how to react. He talked to me for a little bit longer and I was just replying with one word answers because I didn't want to talk anymore. So, after he hung up, I went into the bedroom and just sat on the bed for awhile and it felt like all of the fond memories I have of Grandma just came flooding into my mind right then. So, then I went in the bathroom and cried. That is honestly the first time that I have actually cried on my mission. As I was sitting there taking all of this in, I could really only think of one thing that I should do. So, after quite some time of this, I went back into the bedroom and said a long prayer. Let me tell you right now, that prayer is real and it truly works. I specifically asked God to let me know if she is happy and to help me feel it if she is. I felt the Spirit and right in the middle of the prayer, I all of the sudden felt peaceful about the whole situation. I very rarely have strong spiritual impressions like that, so I know them when they come. I started thinking about all the people who are up there soo excited to see her again. People like Grandpa Bob and her parents and her siblings and her son Kelly. I'm sure it's such a glorious reunion up there and that made me shed a tear just thinking about how much it must mean to those people to get to see her again.
I am really, really going to miss her. As I was thinking about all of this, I realized that I have spent at least a couple hours at her house almost every single week of my life. Watching Jazz games, cracking jokes, putting up Christmas stuff, playing in the backyard, having barbeques, mowing the lawn, visiting, and occasionally being lovingly harassed to play the piano or sing. haha. I thought about all the times I've been playing sports or doing different events, and I could always look out in the crowd and quickly spot Grandma's red hair sticking up. Even when she was feeling sick or when she was going through hard times herself. She is such a supportive person, and I'm sure she will be there to support us all still. One of the most Spiritual experiences that I've ever had was at the temple with her and I will remember that forever. Her sense of humour is one of my favourite things about her. She was so witty and hilarious right up to the very end. (Must be where Dad get it from ha!) I always knew that I was welcome at Grandmas house anytime.
I don't think I can say enough about the great life that Grandma Rene lived. She has a legacy that truly is epic. She has influenced my life and the lives of many others more than she will ever know and I love her very much. She has a very special place in my heart and I'm proud to be her Grandson. I am just so thankful that I am on a mission right now and that I have gained a strong testimony of the Plan of Salvation. I look forward to the day when I see her again and I know I will see her again. I love you all so much. Stay strong and use prayer to your advantage.
Elder Goodwin
I attached 1 picture that I got from Mindy. I have some others on my other memory card and I will attach them as soon as I can.
So this morning during personal study, we got a call from President Brown and he asked to speak to me. I thought it might be a last minute moves change, but my heart dropped when he said, "Unfortunately I have some sad news about your family." Let me just tell you, those are the most terrifying words for a missionary to hear. Anyway, he then explained to me that he had received an email from President Orten with the sad news that Grandma had passed away. I was completely taken off guard and didn't really know how to react. He talked to me for a little bit longer and I was just replying with one word answers because I didn't want to talk anymore. So, after he hung up, I went into the bedroom and just sat on the bed for awhile and it felt like all of the fond memories I have of Grandma just came flooding into my mind right then. So, then I went in the bathroom and cried. That is honestly the first time that I have actually cried on my mission. As I was sitting there taking all of this in, I could really only think of one thing that I should do. So, after quite some time of this, I went back into the bedroom and said a long prayer. Let me tell you right now, that prayer is real and it truly works. I specifically asked God to let me know if she is happy and to help me feel it if she is. I felt the Spirit and right in the middle of the prayer, I all of the sudden felt peaceful about the whole situation. I very rarely have strong spiritual impressions like that, so I know them when they come. I started thinking about all the people who are up there soo excited to see her again. People like Grandpa Bob and her parents and her siblings and her son Kelly. I'm sure it's such a glorious reunion up there and that made me shed a tear just thinking about how much it must mean to those people to get to see her again.
I am really, really going to miss her. As I was thinking about all of this, I realized that I have spent at least a couple hours at her house almost every single week of my life. Watching Jazz games, cracking jokes, putting up Christmas stuff, playing in the backyard, having barbeques, mowing the lawn, visiting, and occasionally being lovingly harassed to play the piano or sing. haha. I thought about all the times I've been playing sports or doing different events, and I could always look out in the crowd and quickly spot Grandma's red hair sticking up. Even when she was feeling sick or when she was going through hard times herself. She is such a supportive person, and I'm sure she will be there to support us all still. One of the most Spiritual experiences that I've ever had was at the temple with her and I will remember that forever. Her sense of humour is one of my favourite things about her. She was so witty and hilarious right up to the very end. (Must be where Dad get it from ha!) I always knew that I was welcome at Grandmas house anytime.
I don't think I can say enough about the great life that Grandma Rene lived. She has a legacy that truly is epic. She has influenced my life and the lives of many others more than she will ever know and I love her very much. She has a very special place in my heart and I'm proud to be her Grandson. I am just so thankful that I am on a mission right now and that I have gained a strong testimony of the Plan of Salvation. I look forward to the day when I see her again and I know I will see her again. I love you all so much. Stay strong and use prayer to your advantage.
Elder Goodwin
I attached 1 picture that I got from Mindy. I have some others on my other memory card and I will attach them as soon as I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment