Monday, October 7, 2013

10.07.13

Conference was pretty great as usual. President Uchtdorf is a master speaker and so is Elder Holland. They say things so clearly and give such profound, but simple solutions to the problems we face in life. Elder Holland took a very different approach than he usually does - we were all expecting him to rebuke and lay the hammer down, but it was a lot different this time. Really really good. But, don't worry, the world still got the rebuke hammer from Dallin H. Oaks. He just said our beliefs VERY clearly and without fear of offense. So, it's been another good missionary Christmas. (Conference)
 
I was really happy with Elder Stringer on exchanges this week. He went with a missionary who's definitely not known for being the hardest worker around, but he went into their area and taught lessons to everyone and made sure they stayed hard at work. That shows that he's got good integrity and good character. He knows why he's here and he's not going to waste his time with dumb things. I'm really enjoying training right now.
 
So, here's a pretty good story. We were tracting a street outside of Belfast City Centre and there was a soccer field right across the road. We were watching these 15 year old boys have a really good/competitive soccer game while we tracted. Hoping that we would stop sucking so bad if we watched people who were good. Ha! We actually didn't pay much attention to it, but then we heard some of the kids start screaming, so we turned to look. Both teams just ran towards each other and started fighting. And when I say fighting, I mean they were full on punching each other in the face. It was pretty crazy stuff. Who fights at a soccer game? It must have been a pretty regular occurence because the ref just told them the game was over and then they all just casually picked up the goals and cleaned off the field as if nothing had happened. No big deal. We almost decided to get involved and throw some cheeky punches, but we just kept tracting instead.
 
Our big miracle for the week is that we were able to teach 20 lessons! Without any solid investigators and only 2 of those lessons were with less active members. Most of the other 18 were lessons with people on the street, where we prayed and everything. We have tons of return appointments from that and we're praying that all of those people will turn into new investigators.
 
We had a past companion of mine sleep at the flat last night and that is always fun. Elder Quashie. The little black guy from London. They stayed at our flat cause they had to travel in to Belfast to watch conference at the Stake Centre. We spent a lot of time trying to talk each other into eating a full raw onion, but nobody ever did - sadly.
 
Not a whole lot else to report on. I love potatos (especially mashed with gravy) but I hate fish. Pizza and kebabs are still my favourites. I made my first breakfast burrito with eggs and mince cause they don't have proper breakfast sausage. It sucked. I ate it anyway though. 6 months to sexy is a success thus far. I'm going to buy a new jacket today cause the one that a member gave me doesn't stop the rain at all. It's been raining a lot lately. Nothing new there. I love you all!
 
Elder Goodwin

No comments:

Post a Comment