Monday, October 28, 2013

10.28.13

The Holywood District

Quick Draw

Terminator

Bro. Donnely
 
I have some exciting news for all of you. I was on exchanges in Portadown last week and I we were playing football with some non members. I decided to step up my game and I finally scored my first goal while playing with Europeans! In fact, I scored 2 goals. YEAH. Who cares if the keeper was like 14 years old. . .ha. I hate to admit it, but I'm actually starting to enjoy soccer. I will probably play it sometimes when I get back. Plus, it's a really good workout. 

In other news, I got to meet this awesome farmer named Brother Donnely. Also on exchange in Portadown. He is this legendary old guy with an epic farm in the middle of the Irish country side. He's got like 6 tractors there and sheds full of random tools and spare parts to stuff. Oh and he has a life sized statue of the cop from terminator standing in a phone booth that he bought. And a life sized statue of a cowboy doing a quick draw. We went there to do a bunch of service for him, but it turns out that all he needed us to do was rake some leaves. Then he made us the best breakfast ever. There was steak, sausages, fried eggs, sweet corn, broccoli, baked beans, turnips, and some other stuff that I can't remember. He always makes massive portions and there was no way we could finish it all. He thinks it's hilarious that we can't finish it though. It was delicious. I'll send some pictures of this legendary man. 
 
Now onto some spiritual stuff. 
 
We were knocking doors the other week, and we met this guy named Dave. We didn't really teach him anything cause he said he was too busy, but also said we could come by another time. And we got the same answer 2 others times we tried by his house. We kept trying by, once a week for 3 weeks. Then yesterday, he opened the door laughing and he said, "I'm sick of telling you I'm busy. . come in." haha! So, he let us in and we had a really good Restoration lesson. He's very into his Presbyterian church, but had lots of questions we were able to answer. It was a really good miracle to see that if we keep trying people will fell the Spirit and change. 
 
We've recently been spending lots of time trying to get in contact with less active members of the ward. Last week, we went to try by a man named Alan C. He said we could come by if we were in the area, so when we went to that area again we planned on seeing him. We walked up to what we thought was his house and knocked the door. And I mean, we both really thought we were at the right address. Anyway, a random lady answered and told us we were at the wrong house. We just started teaching her anyway and she was very interested. By the end of our hour long chat, she let us into her house to say a prayer for her and her family. She was so grateful for it, but she wouldn't take a Book of Mormon because she was too nervous. It was a very neat experience. 
 
It was moves call yesterday. Me and Elder Stringer are staying together, but all the rest of the companionships in the district are getting split up. Always sad, but it will be fine. Me and Elder Stringer will keep tearing it up here. Love you all!
 
Elder Goodwin

No comments:

Post a Comment