Monday, July 30, 2012

07.30.12

First of all.... Happy birthday to Granny and Dallin this week!! You all better have an epic celebration.
 
Anyway, I will just start off this email by answering some questions I have recieved. Yes, the Olympics are a popular topic here. The weather is probably pretty similar in most places you see on TV. Except Ireland gets more rain hah. It's actually been really nice here the last few days though. Sunshine and everything. Next question, the Queen of England is also the queen here. My mission really is going by fast. Sometimes days are long, but the weeks always seem short. A typical p-day usually consists of emailing, then going shopping, then looking around at random charity shops or other stores and then taking a nap, unless we go to the Causeway or some other place. Then we go to family home evening at 7. I love the FHE here. It's just a bunch of epic old people. One of the ladies isn't a member so they always have us come and share a message. Then after, we eat some sandwiches and they give us a bunch of food to take back.
 
Sandwiches here are different. They never put anything except butter and ham on them. Or butter and some other type of meat. haha they are pretty good though. I still really don't like fish. It bugs me when people cook it for me haha but I still eat it. Fish and Chips isn't bad, but just normal fish is nasty. ha.
 
Me and Elder Barney get along really well. The work has been going good and we even got another less active member to come to church. Some days were kind of slow, because Elder Barney has been sick or fatigued or something so we had to go back to the flat and rest sometimes. It was a really good week though and I am excited to have him as my companion. He is a really good cook too. He baked some pretzels and they were delicious haha. I tried to demand him to make me a sandwich as well, but it didn't work. I will get that pretzel recipe and cook them for all of you someday.
 
You will be interested to know that Hal's twin recently came up with a system to predict my future. Apparently, I was a woman in a past life and then I was George Washington. Errrrr. haha I just thought I would share that.
 
We have a bunch of old fruit in our flat and so I came up with a brilliant idea of what to do with it. We decided it would probably be best if we just hit all the fruit into the river with a golf club. So that is exactly what we did. I hit an orange and a watermelon in. It truly was epic. The good thing is, we still have some fruit left to hit in today. I would attach some pictures, but I forgot my camera today.
 
I recieved a package from Mandy on Wednesday! It seriously brightened up my day soo much. I love getting all the mail and packages from all of you. Thank you all soooo much. Getting mail rules when you're a missionary. I love reading all the letters. I read every letter I get like 4 or 5 times. Maybe more.
 
Yesterday, we taught Gospel Principles and then we taught in a combined priesthood and relief society. haha the missionaries are always the fall back option to everything. We taught about improving christ-like attributes. I love talking about Christ like attributes. It is my favorite section of preach my gospel as well. If we all just tried to choose one of those to work on every week, not only would we be happier, but also those we associate with. I have seen that on my mission. I talked about faith and charity and Elder Barney talked about meekness(humility) and hope. I shared some things from different letters I've gotten from all of you. In the end I just told everyone that sometimes life is really difficult, but we just have to do the very best we can, because the Lord loves a "try-er". I also shared something I read in Dad's talk. "Challenge and adversity-guaranteed, misery and unhapiness-optional." I really liked that.
 
I will just finish by writing about an example of how the Lord looks after his missionaries. Lately, I have been looking for some new suit pants because my waist is now a 34. DONT PANIC!!! I still eat a ton and my pecs/shoulder/biceps are still as massive and manly as ever. Probably more so. I'm built like a freaking wedge.  Ladies beware. haha Anyway, my jacket is still fine, so I was looking around for some pants. We went out to Port Rush to see Mark and Matt Black(active member) gave us a ride. Mark had been borrowing a suit from Brother Black and he didn't need it anymore, so he gave it back. Brother Black asked us if we wanted it and we said sure, because it's a pretty nice suit. I went back to the flat and tried it on, and it is EXACTLY my size in every way. It is truly amazing that right at the moment when I was going to buy some new pants, Matt Black gave me a really nice suit. The Lord truly does watch after us.
 
I hope everything is going good in Utah and that you keep getting rain. Too bad we can't just send some over from Ireland. We get plenty here. hah. Well, I love you all and hope you have a good week. I pray for you all.
 
Elder Goodwin
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment