Tuesday, September 4, 2012

09.03.12


Bus Pass

Elder Quashie (Current companion.)


Well, I am in the city now. It's definitely a change from Coleraine or Cedar City haha. This place is pretty massive! WE have to use buses to get around everywhere and I pretty much have no idea how to use buses. I am picking it up slowly, but surely. Glasgow city centr is in our area as well, so on P-day we get to go to city city centre and look at all the shops and stuff. It is a huge city. Today we are going to a science museum or something. I don't know, but it sounds fun. We are going with some other elders because there are about 3 companionships that live fairly close to us. The Zone leaders are actually in the same ward as us. Then there are the chinese speaking elders who live pretty close as well. Our district is just us and 1 other companionship though. Actually, I think there is a senior couple as well. It is pretty weird to be so close to all these different missionaries. I think it will be fun.
 
The ferry to get over here was pretty fun. It's like a mini cruise ship. hah Except we can't really do anything too fun, because we are missionaries. haha. There were a bunch of other elders going over with me, so we had a fun time. We talked to this guy from San Francisco and I talked to him about the 49ers and how I've been to a game. Then I told him that Kobe is a fool and we had a pretty funny argument. haha he wouldn't talk about any church stuff with me, so we just reminisced about the bears and the 49ers and the Lakers. Then we talked about John Stockton and how everyone loves him. hah
 
Glasgow is a pretty infamous place, as I'm sure you've all heard. There is an estate called Easterhouse that is in our area, that is pretty crazy. I guess there are a bunch of documentaries and stuff about easterhouse and all the violence and stuff. I will probably go down there tomorrow to do some tracting hahaha. JK mom. I actuallly think this area is pretty nice. I have run into some pretty rough accents though. Hah I can understand most people fine now, except for Glaswegians. I haven't even talked to anyone with a proper Glaswegian accent yet. Supposedly, they have a bunch of gaelic mixed in with english and nobody can understand them.
 
Here are a few things that I've noticed Scottish people say- Instead of saying the word "don't" they say "dunny." haha and for some reason instead of saying "I don't know", they say "I dunny ken." They also say "canny" instead of "can't". They pronounce the word "house" as "hoose" and the word "cow" as "coo". They also say aboot instead of about. hah I love the accent hear. It is so fun to listen to everyone. I will tell you of more Scottish phrases in my next email.
 
Our flat is pretty nice, too. It has 2 bathrooms in it, so me and Elder Quashie get our own bathrooms. That is the best part about our flat. It doesn't have as good of view as the Coleraine flat, but I don't think many houses in the world have a view like that. We also have some weights. I am so excited about that. I have been utilizing them every morning during exercise. And we have a pullup bar.
 
Me and Elder Quashie have been getting along pretty well, so far. There aren't really any solid investigators here, so we have done a lot of finding. In only the 4 1/2 days we have been together, we have found 5 new investigators and we taught 23 lessons this week. Domination! Teaching on the spot is truly the key to getting more lessons and finding more investigators. One of our investigators is a Catholic guy named Jimmy. He is really nice and has let us in to teach him twice. He has a sick view of Glasgow and he let me get a picture. We committed him to read the Book of Mormon and he said he definitely will and also said he would like to go to church, but only because he is curious. haha I can tell it's because he feels the spirit, though.
 
We had a pretty crazy thing happen with one of our investigators. Her name is Lynsay and we found her while doing some tracting. We taught her about prophets and the Book of Mormon and committed her to read it. When we came back for our next appointment, we saw a note on her door explaining that she had to go to work, but she had left us a care package. The package had her Book of Mormon, a letter with £5 in it, and some treats. The letter talked about how she had read the Book of Mormon all the way up to Mosiah 3 and how she believed what she read. She said she had a very lengthy chat with her minister and that she will probably stay church of Scotland. Foolish minister! We will definitely try by again because I know she believes it. That is the best way to have an investigator drop us ever, though! haha
 
Well, I'm gonna have to get going, but I love you all. The quote of the day is "Become the missionary your mother thinks you are." Dominant quote I learned in the MTC. I hope you have a good week. I pray for each of you every night.
 
Elder Goodwin
 
Sorry I didn't have time to send everyone individual emails today.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment