Well, I'm finally here, after a ton of travel. We left the mission home at 7 am on Friday and didn't get to Limerick until about 9:30 pm. So that is over 14 hours of travel. Luckily enough, I have a talent for sleeping in all types of situations. We took buses all the way there, and I also got to ride the ferry again. We stayed the night with the Limerick Zone Leaders, and then traveled to Galway in the morning, which took about and hour and 20 minutes. But, I'm here now! Oh ya, during District Leader training, Sister Brown gave a really funny talk. She taught us how to deal with the sister missionaries and was explaining to us that comedy skit where it talks about the brain of a man and the brain of a woman. She said that men have drawers in their brain and only 1 can be open at a time, and when we have problems we go to our "cave" and think about something else. But, women's brains are like a ball of wire where everything is connected. She told us not to worry if the sisters get all stressed out and to not give them obvious solutions. Sometimes they just want to talk. It was hilarious.
The first few days here have been awesome and I will tell you why.
First of all, we have a car. It's one of the nicer cars in the mission and it's also automatic. I actually wish it was a manual. It's surprisingly normal for me to drive on the left side of the road now. It just feels natural. Now, it will be weird when I actually get home and drive on the right side, with the steering wheel on the left side. Either way, the roundabouts are still pretty confusing. Someday I will get the hang of it. Our car is called a Peugeot Meriva .... I think?
There are 2 senior couples, a trio of sisters, and 2 Elders in this District. It's a pretty good mix of people and I'm excited. They all seem pretty fun. One of the Elders is brand new and he is from Denmark so that will be interesting. One of the sisters has only been out for 6 weeks, and the others sisters are fairly new as well. There aren't that many missionaries here in Ireland, so we are way spread out. It takes at least an hour and a half to get to any other missionaries.
I met one of the senior couples at church. The Hamblins. Come to find out, they are from Cedar City, too! It was way fun to talk to them about it and they took down our address so they can go and visit Mom and Dad sometime. I also gave them our house phone number.
The members here are the best. It's a branch with an average of about 50 people going to church every week. The branch president, President Flygare is from America and is way cool. There are people from everywhere in the world in this branch. We teach a lot of Africans and there are also 2 universities here so that means there are also a lot of people to teach that are around our age. The work here is on fire. We have 4 people with a baptismal date and they already had a baptism of a family very recently. All africans. Africans are awesome and receptive. They love Jesus.
I got called to be the Young Mens President for this branch during the young mens lesson we went to. It was pretty funny and random. There are only 2 young men in the ward and 1 young woman so it won't be too hard. I'm supposed to teach the lesson every other sunday and plan something for them to do for fun every other Friday. I'm actually pretty excited. There is a 16 year old less active kid who wants to play basketball with me and I'm gonna talk to President to see if it's ok. Hopefully it would reactivate him.
The flat we are in is pretty new and way nice. They just moved into it a few weeks ago. I have 2 bathrooms again and a way nice bed. It's pretty awesome.
The accent is way good here. Classic Irish accent. They really do say tree instead of three because they never pronounce the "th" sound. Just the t.
My companion is Elder Holbrook. He is from California and is really nice. I think we will get a long well and have some good success. I am only his second companion.
Since we do a lot of driving now, I need some good music! We are allowed to listen to disney music and like instrumental stuff. As long as it's not too crazy. I asked one of the assistants what the official rule is because the white handbook is really vague about it, and he just told me not to listen to anything that makes me trunky. That means that it makes me want to go home. It's really up to us what is appropriate. So ya, send me some good music.
I'm way pumped to be in this area. I really miss some of the members in my last area still, but this is a good place for me. I will send you some good pictures of this place next week because I forgot my camera. Thank you all for the birthday wishes and I hope you have a good week. Love you!
Elder Goodwin
No comments:
Post a Comment