Monday, January 21, 2013

1.21.13

So it's been an eventful week in Galway ladies. 

I forgot to tell you something that's pretty awesome. Everyone here knows how to speak Irish. I didn't even realize that Irish was a language. I've heard of Gaelic but not straight Irish. They are trying to make sure the language is preserved so all the road signs have Irish on top and then the English translation below it. It's pretty cool. All the kids have to take Irish classes during their school to make sure they can all speak it. They all speak English usually, but they still know Irish. There are actually a couple of Islands in our area where Irish is the only language that they speak. We found a potential there but he doesn't ever answer his phone so looks like we will have to wait awhile before we have an excuse to get a ferry over there. 

Oh ya there is a senior couple here who are cousins to Ron from Ron's sporting goods. I told them to tell Ron that I am Ken Bensons grandson and they said he was pretty happy. We also got a new senior couple here. They are from Canada and are pretty funny. The wilsons. 

I had to go get a Garda card this week. It costed like 300 euro but it's ok because the mission paid for it. The garda are just the police of Ireland. So now I officially have permission to stay here for awhile. Oh ya and since Ireland is not in the UK make sure that you don't write UK on any letters you send me. Just Ireland. It might offend someone haha. 

I got some way nice packages from Shennie and Mindy and Granny last week for my birthday. So thanks for those they are awesome. 

We teach a lot of foreigners here and we even found an Egyptian family to teach. We met them while we were tracting and they let us right in and told us about how they love Jesus and want their kids to know more about him. They asked us if we would teach them and their kids and we were pretty excited. We do TONS of tracting and it's nice to meet people who have been prepared. But, sadly they canceled the first appointment so hopefully we can see them this week. We also have an awesome Brazilian member here who looks like Obama and a lady from Nigeria who is a princess. 

I played some real basketball for the first time since I've left Utah with an African kid named Bradley. It was awesome. He is supposed to be the best baller around and we had a good game. We had to leave early but I was winning in 21. I taught him some American basketball phrases to use. ha We are gonna play again on Saturday and he is going to bring some friends. I think it is really going to help our teaching because his mom wants us to baptise her 9 year old daughter, but it's really hard to get in contact with her. Hopefully we can reactivate him as well. 

Other than that, not too much is happening. I burnt my mouth on a hot potato the other day at a dinner appointment. haha. not bad or anything but it was pretty painful. It's pretty much healed now. I felt like a fool and they all mocked me for it. ha!

I presented my first District Meeting last Tuesday and it was way fun. We read from 1 peter 1 about why we have trials and to keep  our faith strong and then I had everyone write down what they've learned on their mission so far to get a good perspective of how this work changes our lives and the lives of others. Then we all came up with some new power statements to use on the street. So ya, we read scriptures and we talked about church stuff. 

I love you all and as usual, you are in my prayers. 

Elder Goodwin

No comments:

Post a Comment